by Jennifer Estep
Simon and Schuster
Description: Curiosity is definitely going to get me dead one of these days. Probably real soon. I''m Gin Blanco. You might know me as the Spider, the most feared assassin in the South. I'm retired now, but trouble still has a way of finding me. Like the other day when two punks tried to rob my popular barbecue joint, the Pork Pit. Then there was the barrage of gunfire on the restaurant. Only, for once, those kill shots weren't aimed at me. They were meant for Violet Fox. Ever since I agreed to help Violet and her grandfather protect their property from an evil coal mining tycoon, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm really retired. So is Detective Donovan Caine. The only honest cop in Ashland is having a real hard time reconciling his attraction to me with his Boy Scout mentality. And I can barely keep my hands off his sexy body. What can I say? I'm a Stone elemental with a little Ice magic thrown in, but my heart isn't made of solid rock. Luckily, Gin Blanco always gets her man . . . dead or alive.
The Good Stuff
- Gin is kick ass! One of my favorite heroines ever - up there with Julie Kenner and Jeaniene Frost heroines
- Yummy mentions of food that will make you drool
- Hot male characters (although the detective is a bit of a pussy at times)
- Excellent second book in series, back-story being developed quite effectively
- Love the idea of Elementals
- Fiery and hot -- and I don't just mean the food
- Witty dialogue and fast paced, good luck putting it down -- I had to but I'm a Mom (my little hellions come first)
- Secondary characters are interesting and some of them just plain fun
- The term Po-po irritates the crap out of me, don't know why, it just does
- The descriptions of food are so yummy you will gain 10 pounds just reading about them
- You won't want to put it down and may forget about your responsibilities -- just warning you -- Sorry Jake and Jesse about those PB sandwiches for dinner last night
"Donovan Caine had made himself a promise, and he wasnt going to break it. Oh, I imagined I could get him to forget about his morals, his rules, his vows. All Id have to do would be to crawl over and start giving him the lap dance of his life."
See something you like, detective?" I said in a soft voice. Because I sure do.
"Wow. Three cliches in a row. Somebody was seriously lacking in the imagination department"
What I Learned
- Pesky morals get in the way all the time
- Police departments are always filled with crooked cops
- I really want to have bbq for dinner tonight
- That I really wish that someone had Jo-Jo's talents, I really could use some of her help
Who Should/Shouldn't Read
- Not for the very young or prudish as there are naughty bits
- Not for those that are squeamish or who don't have a sense of humor (and if you don't have a sense of humor you are soooo at the wrong blog)
- Great for fans of Julie Kenner, Jeaniene Frost, or Ilona Andrews
- Everyone because Jennifer is just such a nice person, go buy her books NOW -- yup all of them!