by Jennifer Estep
Suggested Ages: 13+
Buy from Indigo
Description: Im Gwen Frost, a second-year warrior-in-training at Mythos Academy, and I have no idea how Im going to survive the rest of the semester. One day, Im getting schooled in swordplay by the guy who broke my heartthe drop-dead gorgeous Logan who slays me every time. Then, an invisible archer in the Library of Antiquities decides to use me for target practice. And now, I find out that someone at the academy is really a Reaper bad guy who wants me dead. Im afraid if I dont learn how to live by the swordwith Logans helpI just might die by the sword...
The Good Stuff
- I totally want the recipes for the Chocolate Strawberry cookies that Gwen's Grandma makes for her -- I was totally drooling while she was describing them - damn you Estep you always make me hungry when I read your books
- Dialogue is absolutely hilarious
- Fast paced and exciting
- Storyline is truly unique with so much potential for a long series
- Enjoy the relationship and the banter between Gwen and Daphne
- Get a giggle with the references to her Bigtime and Elemental Assasin series
- Positive, strong, kick ass female characters
- Gwen is definitely growing up and developing as a character
- Quite frankly just a fun read, that I highly recommend -- oh yeah and trust me eat something before you start reading -- she talks about yummy food a lot -- now off to find a recipe for those damn strawberry chocolate cookies
- This doesn't bother me like it used to, but there is still some repetition of key plot points. Did appreciate it at times as it has been a while since I read Touch of Frost and it helped me remember things I had forgotten (Only sucky thing about reviewing books for publishers, is that you often have to put aside books you purchased yourself to review the ones you have been sent by publishers -- not complaining mind you)
- Nickamedes is your stereotypical Librarian and that irritates me -- How about he gets a cool, hip Canadian Library Tech that is married to -- hmm lets say -- Finnegan Lane -- to work with him in the library - just sayin - lets combat that horrible image that all Librarians are repressed jerks
- A wee bit predictable
"Occasionally, Nickamedes made me dust and clean the bookshelves, along with the glass artifact cases hidden back among the stacks. Every single time I'd find more used condoms that I did crumpled up pieces of paper and lost pens. Yucko. I wouldn't want to do it in a library where anyone could walk by at any second, but at Mythos, it was considered some kind of thrill. Whatever."
"Wyverns, basilisks, dragons, yetis, even gigantic birds named Black rocs. She called them all "creatures," like she was being politically correct or something, but really, they were monsters. Anything that had fangs longer than my fingers and that could breathe fire was definitely a monster."
"I shook my head. "Remind me not to piss you off, because you're a total vindictive bitch when you're angry. There are supervillains in my comic books who could learn a thing or two from you."
The Valkyrie stuck out her tongue, then gave me a maniacal grin. "You'd better believe it, Gypsy."
Who Should/Shouldn't Read
- Obviously if you enjoyed A Touch of Frost, you will enjoy this
- Fans of Kiersten White will also get a kick out of this delightful story
- I suggest you read A Touch of Frost first, but you don't have to, as Jennifer gives you enough so that you will understand what is going on
I purchased this and did not have to review -- just want you all to love her as much as I do