by A.J. Jacobs
Simon and Schuster
Buy From Indigo
Description: New York Times bestselling author and king of immersion journalism A.J. Jacobs tackles his most challenging experiment yet: a yearlong mission to radically improve every element of his body and mindfrom his brain to his fingertips to his abs.
Having lifted his spirit in The Year of Living Biblically and sharpened his mind in The Know-It-All, A.J. Jacobs had one feat left in the self-improvement trinity: to become the healthiest man in the world. He doesnt just want to lose weight, or finish a triathlon, or lower his cholesterol. His ambitions were far, far greater.
The task was massive. First, he had to tackle a complicated web of diet and exercise advice, most which is nonsensical, unproven, and contradictory. Second, he had to consult a team of medical advisers. And finally, he had to subject himself, over the course of two years, to a grueling regimen of exercises, a range of diets and nutritional plans, and a brutal array of techniques and practices to improve everything from his hearing to his sleepall the while testing the patience of his long-suffering wife.
This latest book bursts with hilarity and warmth, all the while testing our cultures assumptions and obsessions with what makes good health and allowing the reader to reflect on his or her own health, body, and eventual mortality
The Good Stuff
- I think this is my favorite non-fiction books this year
- Author is self deprecating and you know I adore that in a writer
- Truly fascinating, unique and positively hilarious
- Touched by his obvious love for his wife and children and the appreciation he has for them putting up with all his shenanigans
- I need to read all the rest of his books now
- Has a "Super Size Me" feel to it
- He is a master at transitioning from one topic to the next - very impressive!
- Classy and tactful
- I have never laughed this hard while reading a non-fiction book before & I have read ALOT of hilarious non-fiction
- Enjoyed the comments from his wife about some of the things he did -- she sounds like a fabulous woman
- Best idea ever for motivating someone to stop doing something - don't want to spoil it for you but page 231 in my ARC
- The bit about Coco Chanel will make you laugh
- Inspired me to make some changes in my life
- If he was my husband I would have killed him by now with all the crazy stuff he does
- When I read about the Dr who actually performs surgery to change the sounds of your farts - I laughed so hard the cat jumped off my lap and left nasty scratch marks on me -- A.J. you owe me some polysporin
- Now have sudden urge for dried mango's
"I want to be around to teach the importance of having compassion and why the original Willy Wonka is superior to the remake."
"If done properly, with enough protein and B12 supplements, it's certainly better than the Standard American Diet. (Then again, eating nothing but asbestos sandwiches is probably better than the Standard American Diet.)
"His quotes are both hilarious and inspiring: "Fifteen minutes to warm up? Does a lion warm up when he's hungry? 'Uh-oh, here comes an antelope. Better warm up.' No! He just goes out there and eats the sucker." I printed that out and put it on my wall next to the passage about Carl Sagan."
"Though in the case of my children, the rate is much higher. It's amazing how a strip of sticky plastic will make my kids' pain vanish. Lucas will be howling about a stepped-on finger, but as soon as the SpongeBob Band-Aid touches his pinkie, he is all smiles. My sons are so convinced of the magical healing powers of Band-Aids, they think they can solve almost any problem. A couple of years ago, when our Sony TV blew a fuse, Jasper stuck a Band-Aid on the screen hoping to revive it."
What I learned
- About who created the graham cracker and why he created it (No I am not telling you - go buy the book - or go to your local library and pick up a copy - and while you are there tell the Library workers how wonderful they are -- and maybe bring them some chocolate)
- Tons of other fascinating facts about health and diet that sorta scared me at times
- About Blueberries - trust me that was interesting
- Yup this one is a highly recommended read for everyone
- This will be a Christmas purchase for the brother in laws -- all FOUR of them
I received book from Simon and Schuster in Exchange for an honest review